Thursday, December 16, 2004

"It's completely baked. It's a decision I made."

Well, I don't really know the details yet, but I meditated on this yesterday, as I walked around, and sat on the el, and walked some more, and did some yoga, and walked some more (LOTS of walking yesterday; I love my iPod), and had dinner with the (step)Kid and his dad, and I realized that this might be the right decision after all. There are a half-dozen possibilities--go to culinary school for the pastry chef degree; offer to trade teaching some classes for tuition; make baked goods for the aforementioned local restaurant, if she'll have me; sell consulting services to restaurants regarding special food needs/issues; and/or some combination of these things. It's not an issue-free decision, or a final one, for that matter, but I'm toying with it; the next stage is to sit down and figure out the possible combinations that would result in some kind of income and appropriate progress toward a goal or set of goals, and would also provide some backup options. (This all-the-eggs-in-one-basket thing hasn't worked out so well for me over the past twenty years--even though I've successfully changed baskets a couple of times.) Who knows--I could change my mind three times over the next month, or find the perfect job that utilizes my current experience and skills and actually get hired to do it, or win the lottery. But, all in all, I think it has some possibilities. The best, of course, would be some combination that actually utilizes some of my other skills--years ago a friend told me I should be the "alternative Martha Stewart" and another friend suggested I be the "alternative wedding planner." In both cases, the people involved were commenting on my combination of organizational and management skills, creative and culinary skills, and crunchy-granola-rather-than-completely-traditional outlook. Okay, so maybe it's not really completely baked yet, but thinking about it was way less depressing than the slogging through job boards I've been doing.

(Bonus points for anyone who can identify the source of that title--without googling it.)

8 Comments:

Blogger kStyle said...

I'm excited for you! I like to see entrepeneurship on the grassroots level. Whatever you do, I've no doubt you'll be fabulous.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Emma Goldman said...

thank you!!

I'm sure I'll get back to being annoyed and depressed again--it'd be hard not to do that, especially for those of us who aren't quite bodhisattvas just yet--but it has felt extremely good to take the bull by the horns and try to be creative rather than just sit back and wait for something to happen.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

It sounds like a lovely idea--pursuing one's dreams and all that. I hope it works out for you.

PS. I had no idea about the title, so I Googled it, and I only found the first half...

10:47 AM  
Blogger Emma Goldman said...

I got it from the script, so there's every possibility that the second half was omitted from the film. But I've always loved the line. And it does seem appropriate.

11:08 AM  
Blogger kStyle said...

alas, I also had to Google. Good line.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blogstuff is great just looking around yours I have one too beach wedding dress website dedicated to beach wedding dress

4:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Free Ipod Nano site/blog. It pretty much covers win free mp3 player related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Celia said...

This article is fantastic; is very interesting and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it... Glass Bongs and Bong featuring Herbal Smoke, water bongs, bongs online head shop, Marijuana Alternative,glass water bongs, Hashish, Ganja, homemade bongs, Smokeshop, cannibis, legal smoking alternatives for herbal highs and aphrodisia. http://www.headshopinternational.com

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home