Monday, December 06, 2004

Will work for food,

though, really, I'd prefer a paycheck.

The company for which I work is slowly going out of business. We're small--there are fewer than ten of us left--so it won't make the evening news or anything, but it's still sad. There is still some possibility that we will survive (don't even bother cueing the Gloria Gaynor), or that the liquidity event that would occur on the occasion of a reorganization of some sort would actually include getting back pay and so on, but none of us seems to have much faith that that will happen. It's hard to know what the real chances are; investors, or potential investors, don't have quite the same urgency about these matters as those of us who are dependent on the investors, but I suspect they've been fully informed about our urgency.

So we keep coming to work--not because we have any actual work to do, but because the thought of not even keeping up that pretense seems too difficult. Plus, it's just as easy to look for work from here as it is from home--easier, for me, given the slightly faster internet connection. Really, though, it's not at all clear to me how I'm going to find a new job. I have a peculiar, somewhat-outside-the-box set of skills and job history, number one, and, number two, I don't want to stay in the field I'm in. (My previous job wasn't in this field, either, so that's a plus or a minus, depending on how you look at it.) Most days, it seems that I could just as easily--and with just as much chance of success--set fire to my resume and blow the ashes into the air as I could send it off for someone's inbox.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Ouch. That sucks.

Good luck with the job search; I hope it doesn't affect your holidays too much.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Emma Goldman said...

Yeah, it's wildly unpleasant. WRT the holidays, though, I'm basically trying to ignore it. I can't do anything in December--no one hires then--except keep my eyes open. But, hey, that gives me more time to deal with gift-making, -buying, and -sending, which is no small thing.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home