Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Does bullshit cause depression?

I'm sure that bullshit is not the cause of all depression (and by "depression" I mean some version of "clinical depression"). But what I find fascinating about depression is its intersection--or not--with events in people's lives. That is, depression is profoundly "internal," and it is only sometimes (apparently) precipitated by events "outside" one's mindbody. It also seems to me that, at least in some people, even if the original precipitating cause is external and/or obvious, the (understandable, predictable, but in many people transient) depression rewires the brain.

Physical pain seems to provide useful analogies here. One type of pain is the relatively transient pain that we experience when we cut or bruise ourselves, for example. It may bother us for awhile, we may even need stitches or something, but time and the body's own mechanisms eventually heal the pain associated with the injury.

Another type is chronic physical pain: some pain disorders arise because the pain is constant, persistent, untreated. Even when the original cause is treated and, presumably, healed, the pain persists. (This article notes
But in some cases this nerve hypersensitivity continues well after the stimulus is gone, like an alarm frozen in the "on" position. The pain takes on a life of its own.

"Persistent pain is not just long-term acute pain," said Dr. Allan I. Basbaum, a professor of anatomy at the University of California, San Francisco and editor of the journal Pain. "The nervous system has changed."

Doctors classify pain into various categories, but there are two main types of persistent pain. One, sometimes called nociceptive pain, results from damage to tissues, as from arthritis or a burn. The other, called neuropathic pain, results from damage to the nerves themselves and is often set off by diseases like diabetes or shingles.

The third type of pain seems similar to an injury I had about eight years ago, to a shoulder. A combination of a handball injury and mousing made it such that even raising my arm to put on my coat caused excruciating pain. I took nsaids, but only sporadically, and it just wouldn't heal. After a few months (I know) I finally went to the doctor, who (a) sent me to physical therapy and (b) gave me some kind of napricin. I took the latter for four days, as directed (i.e., every 12 hours, rather than every 6-7 hours as other nsaids required), and it made me nauseous--but it also took down the inflammation enough such that my shoulder could begin to really heal. I realized that the pain and inflammation were sufficiently intense and severe such that it kept my body from healing itself. Once I took away a little of the inflammation, my body could get to work and get rid of the rest.

It seems--from my armchair-observer status--that depression responds similarly, i.e., in one of three ways. It goes away by itself, aided by time and perhaps some minor (but not chemical) intervention. It rewires the brain such that antidepressants become something the person is likely to need for the forseeable future. Or it doesn't respond to time, but it does respond to antidepressants, and the person can eventually stop taking them. (It's not clear to me how many people actually stop taking them, though.)

At two points in my life I probably qualified as clinically depressed, and, in at least one of those circumstances, I still couldn't tell you what "caused" it. I eventually just snapped out of it--mostly, I got tired of it. At at least one, possibly two, other times in my life, I went through horrific experiences that, on some level, should have caused depression, but didn't. In the first instance, I went through serious turmoil, but it was entirely appropriate to the horrific situation I was experiencing. In the second instance, I was terribly depressed when pretty much everything in my life was going wrong (people dying, massive debt, being forced to think up a new career, being unemployed, having an unsatisfactory love life, and pretty much all at once), and it continued until I eventually found a job--but it went on for about four years. Still, when friends suggested that I was depressed and that I should "see someone," I pointed out that (a) I couldn't afford to do that, and (b) given my circumstances, anyone who wasn't depressed in those circumstances wasn't paying attention. That is, it seemed to me that my mood was an appropriate response to my situation and would only be a cause for concern if the situation changed I didn't. I didn't think of myself as depressed, on some level, even though on some other level I suppose I was. In any case, when the situation changed--mainly, I got a job--I was able to change the rest of it, too.

Where, then, does bullshit fit into this schema?

I'm unwilling to pose a direct causal connection. But I continue to think about my second experience. That is, as noted, depressed mood was a completely appropriate response to what was happening in my life. Someone who was broke, unemployed, in debt, being forced to change careers, and, for at least part of the time, mourning somone, but who wasn't exhibiting signs of depression, well, that sounds peculiar to me. I know that I really wasn't much fun to be around during a lot of that time--hell, I didn't like being around me all that much. And I wonder sometimes whether my refusal to pretty up my circumstances when people asked about them is related to my eventual ability to heal the wounds.

I actually think we're given wildly conflicting messages. We're not supposed to burden the people around us with the ugly facts of our lives, but we're also a culture of whiners sometimes. We're supposed to tough it out, but the pharmaceutical industry promises a cure for all kinds of ailments and why should we suffer? How can we sort out which ailments need what kind of intervention? We're constantly beset by diet fads, even as we refuse to adopt the Simple Two-Step Diet Plan (eat less; exercise more) and even as we look for more ways to process food-like substances before we ingest them. We worship at the temple of stick figures, even as obesity plagues the land. Where is reality in all of this?

42 Comments:

Blogger kStyle said...

Very interesting post. I'm going to reflect on this a bit.

You might be interested to hear that in Chinese medicine, "depression" can be one of several patterns. Here are a few different, and interesting, links on the topic.

I haven't read this one yet:
http://www.massagetoday.com/archives/2001/04/04.html

Or this one:
http://www.massagetoday.com/archives/2001/05/09.html

But I can vouch for this one:
http://www.pulsemed.org/herbalprozacdepression.htm

And this one is poorly written, but its content is good:
http://www.acupuncture.com/Diagnosis/depression.htm

5:53 PM  
Blogger Emma Goldman said...

Those really were interesting--not least because I didn't recognize myself in any of the descriptions (which fits in with my thought that my responses were appropriate in important ways, relative to my situation). I do wish I could hook you up with a friend of mine in Boston who's been taking antidepressants for years (and cannot function without them).

8:09 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

Really great blog! I noticed a mention about arthritis . I thought you might be interested to hear that both my parents and several of their friends have had problems with arthritis and we have been very lucky to have come across Bioflow. They are sold at arthritis and they have been worth every penny. They don't seem to work for everyone but they have helped reduce the pain in my parents arthritis so that they almost don't notice it any longer. They'd still be taking painkillers if it wasn't for wearing a Bioflow on their wrist

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Health blog. It pretty much covers Dieting Health Fitness Exercise related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time

12:31 AM  
Blogger Clickbank Mall said...

VITAMINS FOR ARTHRITIS
The inflammatory process of arthritis changes the lining of the intestines and reduces the absorption of some nutrients while increasing daily nutrient requirements. Nutrition is further depleted if the person is on long term medication therapy that increases nutrient needs and/or reduces the desire to eat. Joint pain and stiffness increase when the patient is malnourished. Symptoms improve with the dietary intake of calcium, selenium, zinc, and vitamin E. The antioxidant nutrients such as selenium and zinc might also be effective because of their ability to stop free radical damage to joint linings that in turn causes the accumulation of fluids, swelling and associated pain.

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have an interesting blog fount the info very usefulI i have a diet grapefruit site. Its full of useful diet grapefruit related stuff.
come and check it out if you get chance
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4:30 PM  
Blogger banner ads said...

There is alot of Blogs, I never guessed I'd find some usefull information.

Thanks.
I'll be back later to see if anymore good updates are available.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous diabetes said...

Hello Emma Goldman,

One of the sections in my article directory is Health & Fitness ... while looking for blogs on diabetes, I discovered " this post ".

Most people believe the best content on the internet is created by bloggers ... original content, experiences and opinions. Nothing to sell and no hidden agendas!

As someone who appears to be interested in diabetes, I am sure you will find our Health & Fitness section to be interesting. I am continually searching for bloggers to submit articles and assist me to expand the directory to all our benefit. By contributing, you not only get the recognition of being an author, but also knowing your submission will be seen by many hundreds of internet surfers. The pride and satisfaction of seeing your article published in a prestige directory is hard to beat.

Not all of us are born with the talent to write to high standards of literacy ... as a consequence, a lot of bloggers don't try to have their articles published.

I like an informal style of writing that matches your personality and fits in with your article content. I welcome articles that are uniquely based on your personal knowledge, experiences and opinions. All I request is that your content does not contain vulgar language, incite hatred or generally offensive.

Without any commitments ... please pop over and browse my blog articles directory for yourself.

Kind Regards
Emily

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to keep that in mind english grammar exercise

11:38 AM  
Blogger Car Insurance said...

I love when I find usefull info. Thanks

7:06 AM  
Blogger Car Insurance uk said...

Good Blog, you have lots of good content. Keep up the good work.

I have a blog too it is aboutcar insurance uk.

7:06 AM  
Blogger cheap car insurance said...

Hey You have a good blog here Keep up the good work

I have a blog too it is about cheap car insurance

Thanks for the usable information.

Keep up the great work.

7:12 AM  
Blogger 性爱 said...

I am totally nude come see me. Take a bit for all pics and movies to load.

Why do I do this I like to make men blow their jiz in their pants.

Visit me.激情

3:27 AM  
Blogger websoftware said...

Hi: Just came across your blog. Intersting post and good looking site. I'm definitely going to visit again! I recently set up a new website just about **San Diego plastic surgery** There are a lot of interesting plastic surgery/cosmetic articles. So, if you have an interest in San Diego cosmetic surgery please stop by and let us know how we can improve the site.

Thanks
Judi

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I just came across your blog about free roulette and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about free roulette so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!"

3:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Patrick, guess what, I just saw a Live Roulette to test our systems and about roulette wheels.
It has been a long time waiting for roulette wheels.
Test your systems with a real roulette wheel and it's FREE ! Bye, Larry

11:21 PM  
Anonymous calcium carbide said...

Emma Goldman...Thanks for the Blog. I am doing research on calcium carbonate magnesia and simethicone and found your posts about this post to be very helpful. Thanks again.

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, If you are looking for a fantastic feel good vitamin onlinevitaminvitamin online then you have to check this out.

5:17 PM  
Anonymous treating depression said...

Well done on a nice blog Emma Goldman. I was looking for information on depression treatment and came across your post this post - not precisely what I was looking for related to depression treatment but an interesting read all the same!

9:00 PM  
Blogger PolarTrader said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a free article directory Site. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff. Submit your Article and get
lot of back-links :-)

Check it out if you get time :-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

7:35 AM  
Anonymous gout arthritis said...

Hi Emma Goldman. I didn't expect to find this post when I was searching for arthritis medication but I checked out your site and was impressed. Although I was looking for arthritis medication, I'm glad I took the time to check your site out. Great job and good luck.

2:22 PM  
Blogger livin_live said...

hey great blog! I thought some of the comments were a little off beat but still great. Please come check out my new site anyway!chinese medicine product

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ##NAME##, I find it very refreshing to occasionally find a article such as yours with an unusual topic such as ##TITLE##. It somehow ads to ones list of lifes experiences.

I have a soft spot for blogs related to article publishing and /or sites that have a central theme around article publishing type items.

Once again, thank you ##NAME##, hope to see more posts from you in the future :-)

6:20 AM  
Blogger Car Insurance Center said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site & blog about auto insurance quote so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work!

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Ed said...

Hi,

Nice Website, glad I found it. For more interesting info about arthritis, arthritis solutions and arthritis choices, try this website Top Arthritis Info

5:03 AM  
Anonymous submitting article said...

I've got a site similar to yours. It's related to submitting magazine article

Drop by when you can.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Do You Want To Change Your Life... Do you need help in the following areas: Education , Education, Education, Education , Education , Education , and Education ... Then quit procrastinating and Become the person you want to be.. I am Glad that you let me post on your site.. My goal in life is to teach people how to succeed in life with simple goal setting and motivation techniques....

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Roulette Guy said...

Hi there, You have an interesting blogs.
you can visit my site at http://www.101roulettewinningtips.com to learn about roulette tips. Find interesting roulette breakthrough on roulette tips at roulette tips

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Raymond said...

Hi ,

Your blog is very informative. well done and continue with blog related to winning at roulette. Do visit me at
winning at roulette


Raymond
http://www.101roulettewinningtips.com

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If You are Tired of NOT getting anywhere in Life. not being able to accomplish what it is out of life you want to. Ive been there and I still have my ups and downs in life but they don't seem to be the same downs, there are more ups in my life. I wrote a book on self improvement . It is to the point on what you need to do to change your life. I wont make this real long.. If you need to make more money .. have a better relationship with someone or your just tired of the same old you.. then visit us at http://goals444.com and find out more about self improvement

3:44 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Well I just got back from racquetball and I am beat. I am currently doing some research and stumbled across your blog. Which makes me laugh really. The web can certainly land you off base sometimes. Even though your site is not completely related I think it is a cool blog. I have read back through the archives and lots of people make some good points. Well I have been on-line forever it seems. I need to continue to plug away at car insurance progressive quote. If you have the energy swing by http://www.auto-insurance-deals.com/. I try to update my site weekly (most of the time)and maybe you will see something you like. I already grabbed your URL and put it in my favorites. If you do not mind I will be back again. Mint job!

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duplicate content, web scraping auto bots, article generation software and article spinning. It seems every scaremonger and opportunist has jumped on the article writing band wagon. I still feel that article writing and article marketing are in their infancy - there is much more benefit to be derived from article writing. None of my web sites have suffered from the alleged, duplicate content filter or penalty - very much the opposite. The Article Writing blog is on course to become the number one source of information on article writing and marketing.

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Work said...

Hi blogger:)

I really like your internet blog... and I hope to see more new info here, but I have not doubts that you shall keep adding new content daily:) Keep it up!

Regards,
make extra money

6:15 PM  
Anonymous best affiliate program said...

Happy Money Making Famous Quotes.... Waste your money and your only out your money,but waste your time and your out part of your life... Michael Leoboeuf

Inflation is when you pay fifteen dollars for the ten dollar hair cut you used to get for five dollars when you had hair... Sam Ewing

If You Find a need to become part of the best affiliate program so you make a few extra bucks.. go to http://7day2success.com/ ....best affiliate program...best affiliate program....

Live a better life today..

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Rick J said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Rick J said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

1:05 AM  
Blogger Chris Moonbeams said...

Hi, I was just wandering the blogosphere and here I am at your blog. I enjoy the style of how this all works.

This is one to watch.

Cheers,

car insurance deals

7:59 AM  
Anonymous photo album software said...

black mold exposureblack mold symptoms of exposurewrought iron garden gatesiron garden gates find them herefine thin hair hairstylessearch hair styles for fine thin hairnight vision binocularsbuy night vision binocularslipitor reactionslipitor allergic reactionsluxury beach resort in the philippines

afordable beach resorts in the philippineshomeopathy for eczema.baby eczema.save big with great mineral makeup bargainsmineral makeup wholesalersprodam iphone Apple prodam iphone prahacect iphone manualmanual for P 168 iphonefero 52 binocularsnight vision Fero 52 binocularsThe best night vision binoculars here

night vision binoculars bargainsfree photo albums computer programsfree software to make photo albumsfree tax formsprintable tax forms for free craftmatic air bedcraftmatic air bed adjustable info hereboyd air bedboyd night air bed lowest pricefind air beds in wisconsinbest air beds in wisconsincloud air beds

best cloud inflatable air bedssealy air beds portableportables air bedsrv luggage racksaluminum made rv luggage racksair bed raisedbest form raised air bedsaircraft support equipmentsbest support equipments for aircraftsbed air informercialsbest informercials bed airmattress sized air beds

bestair bed mattress antique doorknobsantique doorknob identification tipsdvd player troubleshootingtroubleshooting with the dvd playerflat panel television lcd vs plasmaflat panel lcd television versus plasma pic the bestThe causes of economic recessionwhat are the causes of economic recessionadjustable bed air foam The best bed air foam

hoof prints antique equestrian printsantique hoof prints equestrian printsBuy air bedadjustablebuy the best adjustable air bedsair beds canadian storesCanadian stores for air beds

migraine causemigraine treatments floridaflorida headache clinicdrying dessicantair drying dessicantdessicant air dryerpediatric asthmaasthma specialistasthma children specialistcarpet cleaning dallas txcarpet cleaners dallascarpet cleaning dallas

vero beach vacationvero beach vacationsbeach vacation homes veroms beach vacationsms beach vacationms beach condosmaui beach vacationmaui beach vacationsmaui beach clubbeach vacationsyour beach vacationscheap beach vacations

3:29 PM  
Blogger Dr. Michael said...

The causes that might lead a person to depression are varied and innumerable. The most unthought of reasons might also lead to depression in people. Recently a study concluded that women who give up on their religious activities for some or the other reason may run the risk of falling into depression. One way of fighting depression is actually to know it well. Going through this link might help you in tackling depression better http://www.xanax-effects.com/ .

1:30 AM  
Blogger xanax said...

The anti-anxiety medicine xanax is wholly capable of facilitating your war against anxiety as it is the most widely recognized medication to treat anxiety disorders, especially generalized anxiety disorders and altogether Xanax can treat a whole lot of anxieties related to panic disorders and depression. Before you move on to administer Xanax and treat your anxiety, get hold of Xanax tidbits from the site http://www.pill-care.com

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Received the 50 dollar and get free sign up poker bankrolls to start selected your room
Many poker platform have bonuses without deposit like free Poker cash without risk from amazing $50 bonuses.
good list and good offer for us free sign up poker titan, mansion, full tilt party bankrolls. There are no need deposit poker free bankrolls cash out speed. It took them nearly.
Absolutely free 50$ titan mansion bonus za darmo i bez depozytu na stronie darmowe bonusy w największej sieci bez depozytu tylko jednorazowo.
CD Poker, like most other sites. CD Poker really free poker sponsorship lacks in the tournament department though. I found it extremely texas holdem difficult to find. They do have a lot of special tournaments
Nothing to lose just play and you will see, free poker bonuses refound duration titan $25.
these poker site have many room start-up poker bankrolls for all donk Star's Cibdfb Adventage nation bankrolls.
Download $50 dollars for begin playing poker and you know that
pro without risking poker no deposit offer slow up date shark andssib bankrolls.
Great free poker money no deposit bonus for you.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the sort of guy who passions to try revolutionary things. Currently I am fabricating my personalized pv panels. I'm making it all by myself without the assistance of my men. I'm utilizing the internet as the only path to acheive that. I came across a truly awesome website which explains how to contruct photovoltaic panels and wind generators. The place explains all the steps needed for solar panel construction.

I am not exactly sure about how accurate the data given there is. If some people over here who have experience with these things can have a see and give your feedback in the thread it would be awesome and I'd really value it, because I extremely enjoy [URL=http://apennootje.blogwogin.com/2009/11/10/solar-panel-construction-at-home]solar panel construction[/URL].

Tnx for reading this. U people are great.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home