Tuesday, May 24, 2005

That Meme Thing

I promise to rant about the Democrats and how they maybe should have double-dog-dared the Republicans to go nuclear, and how, since they didn't do that, they damned well better get everyone in line to vote against the nominees, and, if they're smart, they'll find a way to broadcast loud, clear, far, and wide just why they objected to these nominees. Meanwhile, however, landismom tagged me, so:

3 names people call me:
Doc (my old boss calls me this)
Emma
Em
(I don't go by either of those last two names other than here in Blogistan, but my real name lends itself to a similar variant)

3 screen-names I've had:
Emma Goldman

3 physical things I like about myself:
yoga is teaching me that I can do things I didn't think I could do (like turn upside down), which reinforces, for me, the interplay of mind and body, and I like being able to appreciate that on a deep bodily level
other sports have taught me about the zen of movement ("Be the ball, Danny")
the ability to locate myself properly in space, relative to the needs of the moment, even though I'm not particularly athletically gifted

3 physical things I dislike about myself:
I suppose I always wished I was taller, had a different chin, whatever, but I don't really dislike any physical things about myself; like Popeye, I yam what I yam

3 parts of my heritage:
Italian
German
I don't know of any others

3 things I am wearing right now:
8 earrings (including a pair of Allen Owen earrings), even though I only have one hole in each ear
contact lenses
bright yellow Chuck Taylor high-tops

3 favorite bands / musical artists:
Bruce Springsteen (but you knew that)
Beatles
REM

3 favorite Springsteen songs (right this minute, anyway; things change):
Promised Land
Thunder Road
Red-Headed Woman

3 favorite non-Springsteen songs (this was originally one category, called "3 favorite songs," but I need two separate categories):
Dirty Little Religion (Warren Zevon)
Namah Shivayah (Krishna Das)
Wish List (Pearl Jam)

3 things I want in a relationship:
honesty
as much laughter as possible
a true partner

3 physical things about the preferred sex that appeal to me:
I'm having trouble with this one--I"m as enthusiastic as the next person about a well-formed body/face, but physical is only important as an expression of the internal, for me. that is, I do think that we get the face we've earned, at a certain point, and I've found any number of people who weren't conventionally attractive wildly appealing because I like their personalities so much; conversely, there are plenty of people who have a specific physical bit that I like, but it's not the same bit on all people.

3 of my favorite hobbies:
Reading
Cooking
Needlepoint
Sports
Yeah, I know it's four

3 things I want to do really badly right now:
Lounge at a cafe with a cool drink and a good book
Finish DocBook so I can start implementing it
Understand why my brother won't bring my nephews to my wedding

3 things that scare me:
Fundamentalists of every stripe
People who are afraid of the truth (or afraid to be wrong)
The concentration of capital in fewer and fewer hands, combined with the growing gap between the richest and poorest

3 of my everyday essentials:
A hot shower
Some kind of physical activity
Some kind of reading

3 careers you have considered or are considering:
Restaurant owner
Stage manager
Professor

3 places you want to go on vacation:
Southwestern US
Australia (if I can figure out how to get through the flight)
Italy (ditto with the flight, and, really, I'd like to wander around Europe)

3 kids' names you like:
I'm going to pass on this one--I never had occasion to pick out kids' names

3 things you want to do before you die:
Learn Spanish
Build something in wood
Own my own business

3 ways I am stereotypically a boy:
I curse like a longshoreman (like landismom!)
I like sports (playing and watching)
I've always assumed I'd have to support myself

3 ways I am stereotypically a girl:
I keep track of what the household needs in terms of things like toothbrushes and toilet paper (though this is probably more an artifact of living alone for nearly 20 years)
I have lots of domestic talents (fancy needlework, cooking)
I wear skirts sometimes

3 celeb crushes:
Bruce (of course)
Ursula LeGuin
Paul Newman

3 people to play next:
kstyle, Ann (even though she's on hiatus), and SJ. And Charlie, too.

Just for that snarky comment, I'm passing it along to Pops, too.

4 Comments:

Blogger landismom said...

Okay, you curse like a longshoreman AND you've considered a career as a stage manager? I think we went to college together.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a link about that on contact lens manufacturer yesterday that made it sound like you would do better finding it online.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Shawn T Lippert said...

Thank you for the informative blog
Here Is some additional
Contact Lens Resources for daily wear,dipsposable, and color contact lense if you or your readers are interested.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous open365dayz said...

Hi #NAME#. Just found your site via gifts. Although I was looking for gifts I was glad i came upon your site. Thanks for the read!

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home