Friday, June 03, 2005

Goin' to the Chapel (Friday Song)

Ohmygod I have so much sugar coursing through my veins . . . probably because I had strawberries for breakfast. Oh--wait--and petit fours and cookies and fruit pates! Because we stopped to sample some, in order to order post-wedding muchies.

I love the girl-group harmonies of this song, and my favorite non-standard version of it is in a spectacular movie by John Sayles called "Baby, It's You." The movie stars a young Roseanne Arquette and a young Vincent Spano. It's mostly set in Trenton, NJ. The story is simple--she's a Perfect Girl, always gets the lead in the school play, etc.; he's the son of a garbage man, got thrown out of Catholic school (I forget the infraction). They get together. Her friends sing the song to her one morning on the way to school. The way the rest of the movie plays out is extremely interesting (hey, it's John Sayles, whaddya expect?). The soundtrack features a lot of Springsteen (and there's a shot of Madam Marie's), and it fits perfectly. It was the first and last movie that Sayles made with a major studio's backing; it turned out that it just wasn't worth the hassle to him to take big studio money but then have to play by their rules. So, this weekend, go see if you can find "Baby, It's You" at your video outlet (I don't think it's ever been released on DVD).

1 Comments:

Blogger jon said...

We are trying to find good new movie release to take the kids this weekend. Good new movie release reviews are hard to find

I just stumbled onto your blog while looking. Seems to happen to me a lot since I am a knowledge mooch LOL

Thanks

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home