Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Strawberry Fields Forever

Sunday (yeah, I know, it's a little late for a recap of Sunday) we schlepped to Indiana, the better to pick our own strawberries. The good parts: the strawberries ROCK. They're red all the way through, and sweet, and juicy, and omygod. I've been eating about two pints/day, and this morning I froze the rest of them (about 12 cups, 2-cups/bag). The downside, however, was bringing along the stepkid. In part the trip was for his edumacation--he needs to know more about where his food is from--but he had a predictable response and probably picked about 10 berries total. ("No, I don't need to go to the bathroom" while we're in the part of the establishment that has a bathroom, then, of course, a half-hour later, "I have to go to the bathroom and I don't want to use the portapotty because it'll smell bad.") C wasn't very enthusiastic, either, which I can sort of understand--it IS backbreaking work--not least because he's not that big a fan of strawberries. He likes them okay, but he doesn't love them the way I do. As a result, we only picked about 3 buckets' worth, rather than the 6 or so I would have picked if I'd had my druthers (pick 6, pay for 5 was the deal). So next year, I'm (a) bringing people who love them as much as I do, so we can (b) pick as many as possible and then (c) spend the next day cleaning and freezing them in mass quantities. B has a truck--I bet we can fit a LOT in there.

1 Comments:

Blogger landismom said...

Oh, I love strawberries too. In fact, we grow them.

My mom would always take us to do strawberry picking in the summer, right after school got out, and it is indeed backbreaking work. I remember many disgustingly hot summer days when my mom and two or three of her sisters would make a year's worth of strawberry jam for three or four families. Mason jars everywhere!

sounds like a fun time.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home