Thursday, October 13, 2005

No, there's no puppy.

You're not gonna believe this one.

I get a message from C this morning, "Call me as soon as you get this message." So I go up to the lobby of the school, after I've gotten changed, and call him. His news? His company is closing their office here as of the end of the year. So, yes, he gets to look for a new job. Isn't that marvelous news? It certainly made MY day, and his, as well, I'm sure! We talked about it later for a little bit, and, apparently, as the powers that be were delivering the news they were referring to this dismantle-the-office-and-let-33-people-go effort as "this piece." He said the corporate-speak would have made me retch. That part of the program makes me as annoyed as anything else: If you're going to give me a shit sandwich, fine, whatever, but don't fucking tell me it's cotton candy.

He'll get some severance (not much), and it's not until the end of the year, so we're not in danger of starvation just yet, but that whole dream of becoming a pastry chef could go right out the window. Pastry chefs make $10/hour if they're lucky, which is fine if (a) it's temporary and (b) it's a supplement to other household income, but if I have to become the primary wage-earner, even for a little while, I have other skills that would (at least theoretically) pay more than that.

Also, my dad goes in for surgery tomorrow; they're going to roto-rooter his carotid artery, which is 85% occluded. So send out some good thoughts in his direction, okay?

Meanwhile, we've been making ice cream and sorbets this week, and then making cakes out of them. Yesterday's was a Vacherin: a layer of meringue (topped with slivered almonds and baked), a layer of raspberry sorbet, a layer of mango sorbet, another disk of meringue & almonds, and the whole thing covered with whipped cream and meringue.

1 Comments:

Blogger landismom said...

Wow, that's a tough break. I hope he can find something else soon, so you get to keep working on your dream.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home