Sunday, October 09, 2005

What counts as slacking, really?

A relevant question today, because I have, once again, managed to talk myself out of going to a yoga class (it's been two weeks since my last class). The original plan was to go to the 12:15 class instead of the 9:00 class, thus giving myself time to put away the summer clothes and get out the winter clothes--and, in fact, I have accomplished that part of the program (woohoo!). However. The get-off-my-ass-and-go-to-the-12:15-class portion of the program doesn't seem to be occurring, and I only have two tiny excuses (I think I'm fighting off a cold, which normally would NOT keep me from doing anything at all and therefore doesn't count, and I've done something weird to my shoulder, such that some movements make me recoil in pain/spasm, which normally wouldn't stop me, either, though it probably should). Really, though, I just don't feel like doing it. I feel like having done it, which is different, but that requires the doing.

I'm trying to convince myself that I should at least do some recipe-testing today, if I'm not going to go anywhere or do anything, and perhaps I'll actually accomplish that, fer crissakes. Meanwhile, however, I promised you some sugar showpiece pictures, didn't I? (The pics are courtesy of my last partner.) Remember I said I had the rose mojo going on? Here's the best rose I made:

In addition, Chef Fred taught us how to make "ribbon." Take three equal-length sausages of sugar, pressing them together at each end. Pull the whole thing slightly (i.e., stretch it), then make a U; press together the top end while pinching the bottom/back of the loop together; turn the whole thing over and unfold/flatten it. Repeat about twice more, then rub/pull the whole thing across your pantleg a big until it's nice and long and satiny; cut it quickly into the size pieces you need, using a hot knife if the sugar gets too cold. Hold the pieces under a heat lamp to soften them before you shape them. Or just ask Chef Emma to do it for you:

We also learned how to blow sugar. The trick to this, it turns out, is patience, which mostly means not blowing very much, as demonstrated by the bird:

And here's the whole thing:

I believe that clicking on any of the photos embiggens them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home