Thursday, November 17, 2005

Three Hours

Of handball, that is. It definitely improved things, though today was better than yesterday anyway. My bus driver insisted on paying me today for tomorrow's tart, even though I hadn't intended to make it today after all. But plans changed, so I made it tonight--it's in the oven even as I type. (I'm going to be tired tomorrow, but I don't care.) If I could afford it, I'd save the $20 bill and frame it--my first paying customer. (He really wanted to be my first customer.) Plus, the chef talked to someone this morning (at 4:30 am, no less), and I called the guy this afternoon, and they're crunched because of Thanksgiving, but I should call back after the holiday and we'll figure out a time for me to go see him. In other words, a job interview. Two of the other chefs commented on it today, and they were excited, too; the conclusion seems to be that it's likely to be a good fit for me, given what I want to do and what I need to learn to do it.

I still don't know how we're going to deal with the lack of money in the meanwhile, but we're planning on serious austerity for November and December, and tomorrow's project for me is applying for unemployment, seeing as how on Monday the president promised an update on Tuesday, and, by my calendar, today's Thursday, and there's no update and, of course, no paycheck. I've been threatening the unemployment route; tomorrow I'm going to take it. If we maintain austerity, and, possibly, keep a small balance on my credit card, we might be okay. (I hate carrying a balance and never do it.) You should also understand that we're not destitute--there's bits and pieces of money around, like my 401k, if things got truly desperate, and we could move if we had to (though that's risky, given that we'd be responsible for the rent if they didn't rerent the apartment), and we could go to his mom or my parents if we were in danger of starving. But we're way, way closer to the edge than I've been in awhile, and I really fucking hate it. What I hate most is that the company for which I've been working owes me many thousands of dollars; if I had that money, things would be completely copacetic. Shit, if I had my last three fucking paychecks we'd be fine! But I doubt I'll see that money, and I can't begin to tell you how angry that makes me.

Enough of that subject. Today we made more bread--"decorative" bread (i.e., some entertaining shapes), and we were supposed to fill our brioche with mousseline (pastry cream plus butter) but I declined to do that. I even gave away that loaf to S, who's heading out of town tomorrow morning, so he could share it with friends or relatives, probably in the form of brioche french toast, because it'll be a little stale. We also made Pain d'Epices (a.k.a. spice bread), and I brought in my own honey, which really added to the flavor. It's very moist and chewy and dense and good, and--get ready for this one, folks--it doesn't have ANY butter in it! Nothing was so striking that I have to leap up and take a picture, especially since I froze several of the loaves. It's true that the advanced bread class could not have come at a better time, given that bread makes lunch fodder much better than does fancy-ass cakes and tarts; this will seriously help with the austerity plans.

Time to check on the plum tart. I will try to take a picture of it, given that it will be the first thing I sell.

1 Comments:

Blogger landismom said...

I've been in a very similar situation--with an employer owing me several thousand dollars while I was out of work. I know how frustrating that can be. Can you file some kind of wage and hour complaint? In my state, you can complain about an employer that doesn't pay you in a timely manner for work that's completed, and the state will do an investigation. It's not a perfect solution--like bureaucrats everywhere, the state's are overworked & it can be hard to get them to focus on your case. But I found that opening the case with the state made the boss give up the money, and then I just closed the case with the state. Not sure if this is relevant to you in your current situation. You might be able to talk to a legal service lawyer about it--that's who helped me.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home