Thursday, December 22, 2005

Seventeen

In celebration of the solstice, not to mention's B's birthday yesterday, he and I met for lunch. It was supposed to be a festival of meat, wherein we consumed enough protein for a small village; a local Brazilian Meat Restaurant has the same menu, but cheaper prices, at lunch. He got a late start, so we just went to a place near where we used to work. Part 2 of the plan was to walk in the extensive woods near his house, so we changed into several layers of warmer clothes and did that, for about three hours. We saw seventeen deer, including a 10-point buck and a second buck that was nearly as big. It was extremely cool, and, thanks to the traipsing through the snow and so on, not cold. There was a lovely sunset, as well, and then we went to a bar that has approximately 10 Belgian beers and another 10-12 good beers (including three from Bell's) on tap. I started with a glass of mead, though, because it seemed appropriate for the solstice, somehow. The only down side to this place is that it's smoke-filled (at least until the new ordinance kicks in), so I took a shower when I got home, even though it was nearly midnight. C doesn't particularly like sleeping next to an ashtray, and I don't particularly like waking up and smelling it in my hair. All in all, a lovely day.

But why haven't I been writing for you every day? Well, Tuesday I actually did the few fragments of Christmas shopping I can afford to do this year (the nephews, the Kid, my yoga teacher, and an old friend in Philadelphia), and then played handball. Plus, during daylight hours--few though they are this week--I'm trying to finish the needlepoint that's 10 years overdue. I think I can do it, too, in which case I'll take a picture of it for you.

On Sunday, my yoga teacher suggested we each take some time and think about the past year, because most people think they haven't done anything until they think about it. While some people certainly got married this year, few got married for the first time at my age (I've seen the stats on this, and, as with so many other things, I'm more than two standard deviations from the mean), and most people probably didn't throw it all away to become a pastry chef. So what did I do this year? The usual, more or less, for me.

Okay, sun's up, time for more needlepoint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home