Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Pavement on the Road to Hell

What I intended to do, but couldn't manage: a yoga class. What I'm supposed to be doing now: checking to see how the gingered sugared pecans for C's sister are coming along, plus making a yellow-split-pea-barley stew for lunches, so I can take a break from the curried cauliflower already. (Today I had C's leftover cassoulet from ten days ago and some of the tomato bread that Brad gave me last week, but I don't have anything else in the freezer, so it's cook, eat a stale Clif bar for lunch tomorrow, or I don't know what.) I want to make a black bean and quinoa thing, too, but I suspect the energy for that will not be forthcoming tonight.

The bad news is that I still don't know how much I'm getting paid. The good news is that the owner thinks I'm doing "terrific" work--he said he sent an email to Chef Bob telling Chef Bob how wonderful I am. That kinda made my day, if you want to know. The owner's wife will talk to me tomorrow about pay details. Really, though, the fact that he likes my work is pretty cool, and C and I figured that, although we really can't get by if all I'm making is minimum wage, that would serve as a spur to get something going for his sister's store.

The larger dilemma w/r/t that is how to balance what I want to do with what will make me some money. As B and I discussed the other night, I'm really not that excited by the prospect of baking without gluten; there's a whole bunch of stuff that I love to do, particularly breads, that you just can't make well. But that really does seem to be an unfilled niche, Whole Paycheck's foray into that arena notwithstanding. I keep reminding myself that I don't have to solve every problem all at once: If I manage to even make a little extra income this way, that's fine. I'll worry about the rest of it later, when I have a better idea whether I can afford to open my own place. If C doesn't get a job in a timely fashion, for example, or if he gets a job but it doesn't pay very well, then we're just well and truly fucked, and we're going to have to come up with some other ideas.

But I don't want to think about that tonight. I have to find my pate a fruit recipes (I've talked the owner into making/selling some for Valentine's Day), and I also have to solve an Excel problem for the bakery (I don't HAVE to, but it would rock if I did, and I think I can). And one of these days I have to help update their website, which badly needs copyediting and, it turns out, pictures of the food the bakery actually sells.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home