Wednesday, March 15, 2006

What do you REALLY do all day?

So how DO I spend my days? I've given you lists, but things have actually changed somewhat, in that I now have all of the croissant production in my hands. Well, I punch in a little before 7:00 am; I like to get there a little early, but the boss doesn't really care that much--the second day of work he told me that I could be a few minutes late and it wouldn't matter. (Before I punch in I put on my kitchen clothes, braid my hair and put a spandexy band around my head, and put on an apron.) I grab five sheet pans, position the scale, and flour the table. I drag the 60 pounds of croissant dough out of the walk-in and over to the work table; the dough is in a big plastic storage-type bin. I get whoever is walking by to help me dump it on the table, and then I spread it out. I cut it into six-pound pieces, putting two rectangular pieces on each floured sheet pan. I cover each pair of dough pieces with a plastic garbage bag (the light plastic bags, with the bottoms cut off so they're stretch-out-able, not the big green things) and put the sheet pans in the freezer. (Sometimes I have to rummage around to find space in the freezer.) I get out 15 pounds of butter, a rolling pin, and a big piece of plastic, and I cut up the butter into 1.5-pound chunks. I pound each chunk into a rectangle that's about half the area of a piece of dough and then put all the butter into the walk-in. Today I also moved two pieces of already-laminated dough from yesterday from the freezer to the walk-in to thaw out; I didn't feel like doing them yesterday, but that means more croissants to shape today.

At this point, I have about an hour to an hour and a half to do something else. I had to fill an order for 45 "Irish potatoes," which are our chocolate rum ball mix shaped into something that looks like a dog turd and then covered with marzipan and dusted with cocoa powder--they really do look like potatoes, so it's pretty entertaining. Johnnie had made the mix and I'd shaped the potatoes yesterday, so I rolled out the marzipan and covered the potatoes today.

By now it's about 9:30 and time to laminate my dough. I take each sheet pan out of the freezer, take the dough and run it through the sheeter a little bit, position the butter, cut the dough so it's a butter-and-dough "sandwich," roll it out and put a single fold into the dough (which means I fold it in thirds; a double, or "book" fold means you fold each end toward the middle and then fold the whole thing in half). This starts creating layers of butter and dough. I have to trim the edges and such so it fits properly, which takes a little time; after that, I put the pan back in the freezer. After I've laminated all ten pieces, I start with the first piece again, rolling it out on the sheeter and putting a double fold into each piece. (Four of the pieces, the ones slated for plain croissants, get two double folds; the others get a single fold and a double fold.)

By now it's probably about 10:45. Today I shaped more potatoes from a new batch of mix from Johnnie and put marzipan and cocoa on another ten so they could be sold in the store; I'll do the rest tomorrow before the laminating. When I finished with that and put everything away, I moved the sheet pans with the croissant dough from the freezer to the walk-in; frozen dough doesn't roll out very well. I took a break around noon for about 20 minutes, then came back and started with the croissants.

In preparation for that, I made some egg wash (eggs and a little salt, in our case; in school we added some cream, too, and extra yolks), stacked a bunch of sheet pans lined with paper, and got out the almond filling. I made some almond ones first, then some ham and cheese. At this point, the guys were on the make-up line, making some kind of coffee cakes; this line is back-to-back with the sheeter I need to roll out my dough, so I made my croissant dough for tomorrow in the meantime. (This involves lugging a 50-pound sack of flour up from the basement; because I use about 34.5 pounds of flour, it's easier to bring up a sack and remove the 15 pounds than to scale out the 35 pounds.) That takes about 20 minutes or so, then the dough gets put into one of the bins, I check the temperature (78 degrees F is the preferred temp), and put a timer on top of it for 30 minutes, after which I drag the thing into the walk-in for tomorrow. I helped out briefly with the coffee cakes, then went back to my croissants.

I made four more pieces of dough into chocolate croissants. I put the chocolate, ham and cheese, and almond on a rolling rack (and put the extras in the freezer), and then made six pieces of dough into plain croissants. I get about 36 plain croissants and about 24 filled croissants from a given piece of dough; each croissant gets egg-washed after making, and some get egg wash during the construction to help seal something. After putting the plain croissants for tomorrow on the rack, I put the whole rack into the walk-in, where it will sit until the guy who does the baking comes in. I froze the rest of the plain croissants, cleaned up, shrink-wrapped five small pans of brownies for Brad (who had to leave before the shrink-wrap tunnel was hot), and that was it. I punched out a little after 4:00.

There really isn't much opportunity for slacking, unlike with desk jobs (where you can almost always do a little web-surfing, or make a personal call, or exchange emails, or whatever). There isn't much privacy, either, in the sense that everything's happening in one big room--at one point today, the spiral, the 40-quart, and the 80-quart mixers were all going, and I was using the dough sheeter, which makes its own noises. On the other hand, everyone's busy doing his or her tasks, so there's not a lot of conversation most days--which affords privacy of a different kind.

I also asked my boss about what it costs to buy a bakery--and he doesn't think it will cost much at all, which is interesting. And encouraging. Not that I'm ready to do that yet, but it doesn't hurt to gather information.


Post a Comment

<< Home