Friday, April 21, 2006

Being Elsewhere

I thought perhaps the stars would align, but, alas, no go. I called the managers of the current apartment building to see whether there were still people in line for this apartment, but they didn't want to wait any longer and signed a lease two doors north of this building. Okay, then: I reminded myself last night that (1) there's more than one good apartment in the city, and (2) it really would be nice to have a chance to pack my stuff deliberately (e.g., dust books before I pack them; get rid of clothes I don't want), not to mention (3) at least two friends have offered space in their abodes, for me and/or my stuff, should the need arise. That would not be the preferred option, of course, because it would entail moving twice when, really, once is enough, but I don't have to worry about being without a place for my stuff (thank you George Carlin). I still have to find a place, of course, but it won't be right this minute.

Craw is moving out some of his stuff tomorrow, so he and the Kid and I had some dinner at our usual Friday night place and, despite Craw's announcement to the contrary a couple of weeks ago, he and the Kid will be staying here tonight, the better to get an early start tomorrow. I have to work, and it's just as well, if you ask me. The croissants still haven't learned to make themselves, and I really don't want or need to be here to watch the physical dissolution of a shared life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home