Sunday, April 09, 2006

Sunrise

I want to live alone in the desert
I want to be like Georgia O'Keefe
I want to live on the Upper East Side
And never go down in the street

Splendid isolation
I don't need no one
Splendid isolation

--Warren Zevon, "Splendid Isolation"


Of course, that's not true at all for me. I lived alone for 20 years and liked it just fine, and the prospect of doing it again doesn't bother me, but I don't really enjoy isolation per se.

In this apartment, the buildings east of it are spaced such I can sit up in bed and watch the sun rise over the lake, which is about four blocks east of here. I've enjoyed doing this--way more than I would have predicted--for the past four years. Even this morning, I woke at 5--one's brain gets into these patterns, I guess--and, burrowed in the flannel sheets, I watched a particularly beautiful sunrise. Of course, that, too, makes me sad, because, while Craw is not so much with the getting up early thing, that early-morning quiet was something we shared, and, if I'd gotten up to make coffee for us (decaf for me, thank you), he'd be awake enough to watch some of the sunrise with me.

I hate thinking about these things.

So I'll go to a yoga class in a little while, then come back here and clean this place, then start making lists of apartments to see. I spoke with the people in the building, and there's apparently a waiting list for two-bedroom apartments here, so we might well be able to move out early, which would be useful.

Incidentally, kStyle tells me that the blog has been eating comments, which just blows. If you remember what you said, particularly about the last post, email it to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home