Thursday, May 25, 2006

Signed, Glad They Met

Unhappy, unhappy
You have no complaint
You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't
So listen up buster, and listen up good
Stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood
John Prine, "Dear Abby"

Perhaps not surprisingly, I was in kind of a funk on Tuesday, and, while sitting on a bus, it started morphing into feeling sorry for myself. Then my iPod served up the above song, which made me laugh. I met a friend for some beer and free Indian food, which helped with the attitude adjustment. As I talked about my weekend, I realized that part of what had been so unpleasant was the lying I described in the post below. (The post makes it sound like I knew that at the time, but I didn't.) Talking about it definitely improved the situation, too, in the sense that I was able to figure out what was giving me mental indigestion.

Oh--I promised you all the story of how my parents met, didn't I? My mother and M have been friends for nearly their whole lives, and M is the one who told this story to the assembled multitudes. My father espied my mother and decided he wanted to know her. As luck would have it, my mother and M were in a wedding that my father attended with a woman named Antoinette. My father--whom I have seen dance MAYBE six times in my whole life--came trotting over to my mother to ask her to dance, and every time he did this, my mother grabbed M's fiance and made him dance with her. My mother didn't know whether Antoinette was a girlfriend or what, but she wasn't comfortable having my dad abandon his date for her. After about five tries, dad figured out that mom wasn't going to dance with him. Luckily, however, one of his friends lived next door to my grandparents and mother (and I had heard this part of the story before), providing him with additional opportunities to talk to her. Then, because M's fiance was in the army, whenever my mom and dad went on a date, they took M along--the three of them would even go to the drive-in together (and my mom would fall asleep while my dad and M watched the movie). (My dad said on Monday, as we talked about this in the car, that he should have told everyone that he dropped M off first at the end of the evening.) They started dating in July 1955, got engaged in November, and got married the following May, 50 years ago tomorrow. Kinda cool, really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home