Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Still More Moving Crap

Is it worth $250 to not have to lift any boxes? Two movers provided me with quotes that come out to about $400, and figure another $60 in tips--let's say $500 total. Renting a truck (truck rental, mileage, gas, a dolly, insurance, tax) will be about $175, I'm guessing, and figure another $75 to provide food and beer for the friends who help me move. Either way, I may try to rope a friend into moving the bed and some essentials (teapot, stereo, shower curtain, towels, soap) the day before, so I can get that shit set up first. If I have everything packed--and I fully intend to do that, because any other plan is a fucking nightmare--then it might be possible to do the whole thing in less than six hours. (For the move mentioned below, I assembled a pickup truck and three or four station wagons, plus about ten people, and the whole thing was done in a little more than two hours, though there was no furniture.) All in all, I'd probably rather spend the $250 throwing a big-ass party for the people who help me move, you know? And maybe getting a good massage.

I asked the building management at the current apartment whether they'd pro-rate the rent, and they said no. Thus, even though I'm planning on moving out on the 18th, they don't get the keys until the 30th. Fuck 'em; if I'm paying for it, they can wait. That also gives me an extra week or so to collect mail and the like, and provide a birthday pie for the doorman (if I am sufficiently organized to do that, which is probably questionable). Money-wise, it doesn't make that much difference, as the new place is apparently giving me June for free.

I have half of a post in my head, about food, or, rather, the gendered aspects of food and eating, but my brain still thinks I only need four hours of sleep, and I'm not going to try to write it now. I don't ever remember having this much trouble sleeping. I suspect that more exercise and more yoga would help tremendously, and, hey, I'll get right on that. Soon--first thing, in fact.

I found a website that has a word a day in Spanish, so I bookmarked it and try to go every day. I still don't know what to do with verbs, or any of the other grammatical bits, for that matter, but I figure it doesn't hurt to add vocabulary. Anyway, today's word is grosero, which means rude or coarse, according to the definition. Except the sample sentence's translation spells it "course," as in, "He was a course man." I keep trying to invent meanings for that sentence.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Larry Jones said...

Don't know how far I'd trust a language teacher who was misusing words in one language. Who knows how accurate they are in the other language? And who needs that word in a bakery setting, antway?

5:35 PM  
Blogger Emma Goldman said...

Eh; gotta got with what they provide. Anything that gets me learning SOMETHING in Spanish is a start.

6:51 PM  
Blogger kStyle said...

I know a peculiar dialect of Spanish that my honey calles "shelter Spanish", from my days volunteering in Santa Fe. I don't know how to write it, only to say it (with a Portuguese accent.) Por exemplo, spelling phoenetically and in Portuguese:

No aye camas hoje = there are no beds today

A hora la cena esta servida = dinner is now served

cotones = Q-tips

toalla = towel

esquecer = chore

shampoo = shampoo (really!)

jabon = soap, but jamon = ham

tengo hambre = I'm hungry, but tengo hombre = I've got a man (both proved useful)

la camion = the truck (though many locals would call it "la trucka" in Santa Fe Spanglish)

10:28 AM  
Blogger kStyle said...

PS

acondicionador = conditioner

10:29 AM  
Blogger kStyle said...

Oh yeah, how could I forget

chi chis = Mexican slang for boobies. "Tienes chichis grandes" many a drunk Mexican told me, right before he was kicked out of the shelter.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous the Art of Living said...

Great blog! I was surfing the web to find tips on the Art of Living. If you are interested have a quick look at http://www.wellnessmaster.com so we can exchange ideas.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home