Monday, June 05, 2006

Vroom Vroom

I spent yesterday watching cars go very fast and turning left--a friend took me to a Champ Car race yesterday, and it was quite cool. The green side of me is appalled, but I really liked it and would happily go again. On the way home, we stopped and picked up boxes (including bubble wrap!) from my yoga friend, which I proceeded to fill today. Despite the piles of filled boxes, I still have a ton of stuff to pack. Unfortunately, I'm once again out of empty boxes, though I'm hoping to get some from work tomorrow (the dishwasher has been saving them for me).

Use it or move It: Those are my choices these days with regard to food, so I'm trying to eat stuff. On the days when I make dinner, pasta is easy, as I could eat it every day and be happy. I'm getting through some of the frozen odds and ends on the days when I don't feel like dealing with pasta. Breakfast cereal isn't a problem, except there are bags and boxes that I got for the Kid (and his father). I hacked up a butternut squash the other night, and also managed to finish off a couple of onions and the Swiss chard that was about to go bad in the vegetable drawer. Still, it's more difficult than you might think, given the changes in eating habits.

The building manager called today and said they had to turn over 20 apartments at the end of the month, so if I could move out early, well, it turns out they'll rebate on the rent after all. I signed the new lease and handed over the security deposit, plus checked out the new place again. If I could get the boxes and fill them, I could move next week instead of the week after, but I don't think that's really possible, plus Craw still has a bunch of stuff here that isn't packed yet. At the new end, I have to do all of the change of address stuff and I have to line up the phones, internet, and cable. I really can't manage everything in the next week. This turns out to be another one of the down sides of hourly-wage jobs: if you take off, you don't get paid. Plus, with schedules as tight as the ones at our place, taking off can really disrupt the whole production. I'm increasingly becoming reminded of the downsides of these jobs, and that isn't helping my mood any, but I'm not going to bitch about it here/now.

4 Comments:

Blogger kStyle said...

it's good to take note of the difficulties you encounter at work--so that eventually you can try to build your own bakery differently.

good luck with everything. email me to vent anytime, and let me know when you're ready for more proofreading.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Dave, not Craw said...

Ummm, Emma... I don't have all THAT much stuff there! And I'm gettin' it out, some very day....

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Larry Jones said...

This move is shaping up to be the most organized, and most documented, in history. I have moved many times, and I always aim to plan my work and work my plan, and the initial load usually starts out that way, but by the end there have been a bunch of unforeseen problems, fragile things have somehow not gotten properly packed, junk has not been discarded and now must be moved, and by the end of the day there are four or five exhausted friends, two of them drunk, throwing lamps in the back of the truck, making trips out with no more than a shoebox in their hands and asking stupid questions like "Where do you want this (sealed and completely unlabeled) box?"

I hope your move goes well, and if I lived nearby, you'd certainly be welcome to call me when it's over.

1:19 AM  
Blogger kStyle said...

I never move unless I have my period. It's a problem, the move-in-at-the-start-of-the-month policy.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home