Saturday, July 22, 2006

More Nothing Much

I've been neglecting you all, haven't I? Not in my heart, but you can't read my heart. Today I got home from work, turned on the Tour de France (which is what I've been doing when I get home), and pretty much fell asleep on the couch. I'm exhausted, perhaps because I've been treating Friday like Friday, even though it's really my Thursday. Friday at the bakery is a grind, even though I've managed to organize and streamline the production as much as possible; I end up putting out about four and a half racks of croissants (which is about 80 dozen). Saturday is much less of a grind, so it doesn't seem so bad, even when I'm tired, and I don't generally have anything more exciting to do on Saturday night than sleep.

Tomorrow will be equally thrilling: yoga in the morning, followed by a festival of sporting events (two car races plus the final stage of the Tour). I'm hoping to see a medical student friend, so I can trade a ride to Whole Paycheck for some editing for her. I have to sit down and hack through the piles of paper and bills, too. Monday I'm seeing my doctor at 7:30 am, and then it's time to do some editing (provided the doctor visit isn't too eventful/painful).

It's becoming clear that I have to figure out what I'm going to do--how I'm going to reinvent myself this time. There are myriad things I would like to do: bakery owner, programmer, writer, editor--any or all of those would entertain me. I'm not qualified for at least one of those, and the others don't exactly pay much. (Entertainingly enough, one of the jobs for which I couldn't get an interview, which led me to become a pastry chef, is apparently open again; I should probably reapply, just for the hell of it.) I really don't want to abandon the whole pastry chef/baker thing, especially as I haven't repaid the loan yet, but I have to figure out a way to do it that results in a life I want to live. Hell, I have to figure out ANY job that results in a life I want to live.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Dave (not Craw) said...

Good luck at the doctor Monday. I'm hoping for the best (of course).

8:39 PM  
Blogger Larry Jones said...

I really admire your reinventions, or your ability to do them. Might be better for you, though, if some time you get to say when the next one takes place.

I'm willing your diagnosis to be "Nothing Serious."

10:54 PM  
Blogger Emma Goldman said...

It seems I always have some say in the matter--it's just that I make a decision that doesn't seem all that big or dramatic but then it has a way of oscillating such that all of a sudden it's way bigger and requires much more effort than I originally intended.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Orange said...

How's your grasp of medical terminology? Or some area of science/technology? Medical editing and such tend to pay better than more general editing.

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home