Monday, September 18, 2006

Irritants

First off, what the fuck are my fighting-for-a-wild-card-berth Phillies doing losing to the Cubs, who suck so terribly? The Phillies' pitching was for shit tonight (witness the number of runs the Cubs scored--9? 10?), and, despite a grand salami that put the Phillies back in the game briefly, they just could not pull it out. Against what Steve Goodman used to call the doormat of the National League. Guys, that is NOT the way to do this.

Second, I've got two minor irritations: first, something at the bakery--flour in the air, perhaps?--occasionally gives me eye boogers. Not just the regular stuff, but yellow-green stuff. One day last week it was pretty bad, but it cleared up as soon as I got home and took out my contacts, so I decided it wasn't a genuine infection. The other irritation is some kind of weird rash on my left forearm. I've been halfheartedly following the basic rule of skin crap (if it's wet, dry it; if it's dry, wet it), with tea tree oil, some jojoba and beeswax cream, and/or some vitamin E oil, but it's impossible to keep it covered in such stuff while doing production. This ten-days-in-a-row thing probably isn't helping. It doesn't hurt, it doesn't itch, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Here's an irritation of a different sort: the sign at the public transit station--one of those scrolling neon signs--blathers on about homeland security and keeping track of your shit and so on. It also requests that you "remain alert of" your surroundings. Who the fuck wrote that? You can be AWARE of, or alert TO, but who says "remain alert of"? Every time I see it, it irritates me. (I also made the mistake of complaining to a friend that one should never modify "unique." It means "one of a kind." If it's already singular, if there's already nothing else like it, then it can't be "very" unique." Sportscasters--who are responsible for so very many locutions that drive me crazy--are the biggest sinners in this regard. Of course, my friend takes every opportunity to modify "unique" somehow.)

Just sayin.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Ron Sullivan said...

Shirley your friend has a similar sore point you can exploit, no? I admit, the possibility of endless escalation might give one paws.

I'd suggest a good slosh of basic saline or fake tears on the eyes if you get work breaks and after you get home, and skipping the tea tree oil and all and just slathering the arm rash with aloe vera after work for a week, see what happens. Fresh aloe vera straight from the plant; the canned stuff just doesn't cut it. And yeah, unless it hangs around for months or starts annoying, I wouldn't worry either. Are you working with more cinnamon than usual lately? That can be an irritant, to both eyes and skin.

Got glasses?

Yrs, Big Nurse

12:10 AM  
Blogger Emma Goldman said...

Escalation is definitely the order of the day; it makes me laugh.

Ooooh; the cinnamon might very well have been the cause of the green eye goop last week; that might have been the day I refilled the cinnamon bin, which, of course, means the cinnamon gets everydamnwhere, including maybe in my contacts. I don't think it's what's causing the skin thing, though; the skin one is really pretty localized. I don't know why I didn't think of aloe; I use it on every other skin thing I get.

Thanks, nurse!

5:00 AM  
Blogger That Brazen Tart said...

I explain "unique" this way: it's like "dead," you either are or you aren't!

9:28 AM  
Blogger kStyle said...

The abuse of "unique" has been driving me batty! It's the new "literally": I was, like, literally under the gun, because it was a pretty unique situation. ARGH!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Orange said...

It's so unique when your eyes are, like, literally turning into globs of green goop.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home