Monday, October 30, 2006

Plaster Dust

Success! I now have a shelf on the bathroom wall (albeit with three screws instead of four, because the guy at the hardware store recommended screws that were WAY too big, but I had three of the right size sitting around) AND I have my pots hanging on the kitchen wall (screws, anchors, and cup hooks; I'd originally thought a pegboard, but once I got to the hardware store, that seemed like way more trouble than it was worth, and more money, too), which means the mixer and the food processor are under the cabinet rather than on the counter and next to the freezer, respectively. I suppose it's possible that there could be too much counter space, but I doubt I'll ever personally be faced with such a situation. It's also probably the case that it would have been smarter to do all of this stuff and then clean, rather than the other way around, thereby necessitating doing some of it twice.

Saturday was an 11-hour day at the bakery. In addition to the usual 120 pounds of croissant dough (out of which I made approximately 500 croissants), I had an extra 30 pounds of dough, out of which i made 130 curved croissants. (Jefe and I referred to them as "shitty" croissants for awhile, because the roll-in fat is this nasty-ass margarine; we had to change our terminology so we didn't inadvertently call them that in front of the customer. We don't sell them in the store, because they're for a wholesale account, and everything about them offends me.) I also put together 16 dozen mini-pastries. These are basically our various sheet cakes iced with their proper icings and cut into 1.5-inch by 1.5-inch squares; we can also do mini-eclairs and mini-cream puffs and mini-cannoli, but I avoid all of them like the plague because they have a bunch of extra steps. At the end of all of that, I had to do the final assembly for two leaf tortes, or mousse tortes, or whatever we call them: basically, chocolate layers with chocolate mousse between, covered in this very thin Tootsie-Roll type substance and with a fucking endless frilly spiral of the same substance on top. Jefe showed me how to do the TR-substance months ago, so I end up having to do it whenever that cake shows up. As a result, I put in nearly my 40 hours last week--37, I think--which is good. Even with some overtime this week, the next check will be a little light, but not as light as I'd feared.

I got lots of sleep (for me) this weekend, though that didn't mean sleeping late. Sunday I slept until 5:45 . . . except, with the clock change, it was 4:45. Today I slept until 5, I think, though I crashed early last night. I managed a short walk yesterday and today, and I may even manage another one today.

I've been thinking a lot the past few days about being a freak, but I haven't gotten around to writing it down yet, and I have a phone call in 15 minutes (about doing some web copy for one of my clients), so it's going to have to wait.

3 Comments:

Blogger Larry Jones said...

Curved croissants? All the croissants in California are curved, like one-quarter moons. What shape are yours normally?

5:44 PM  
Blogger mariamaria said...

You must be a good cook.

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Ron Sullivan said...

I second the question about croissant shapes. And I agree about margarine -- feh. Nasty stuff. Ought to be banned.

Years ago, we were visiting Joe's mother and we had this incredibly nasty stuff instead of butter, because she was paranoid about her blood pressure. (Don't get me started. She lived to 98, but her ancestors lasted even longer and ate Ozark bacon and ham and lard all the way.) This crap got squeezed out of a squeezybottle and didn't melt on toast or a baked potato! Scared me half to death.

But now I want some chocolate, dammit.

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home