Sunday, November 12, 2006

Babblicious

My new neighborhood is more residential than my last neighborhood. Even though there were more people living in my last neighborhood, they were living in highrises. This neighborhood has no highrises, but it does have trees. And the trees have leaves, which turn colors and fall to the ground in the fall. And, because there aren't building maintenance men with REALLY LOUD LEAFBLOWERS, which are among the most stupid of all inventions, the leaves are sometimes in piles along the sidewalk and in the gutters, which means I can shuffle through them and smell the season and be reminded of jumping in piles of leaves when I was a kid. Which is all good.

Leaf-shuffling notwithstanding, I just don't get enough exercise these days. I do a lot of weightlifting at work, sure, but that's not the same. I keep whining about how I miss the running around and aerobic stuff, and I do miss it: there's nothing like working up a good sweat, and I haven't done that since about February. I've already decided that, if the side work continues at its present pace, and/or I manage to score a raise from Jefe, I'm going to join a Y and start playing handball again. It's going to require some finagling: the only Y at which I'd really be able to play is the one near the bakery, but the joiner's fee is $100 and the monthly fee is $52.50. The other Ys in the city are around $41 to $44/month, with a joiner's fee the same as the monthly amount. Ten dollars/month difference isn't all that much, I suppose, but still; the point is, even an extra $44/month isn't nothing, which is why I'm continuing to hold off--that same amount applied to my student loan each month would go a long way toward eating at the principal, for example.

Orange's tales from the gym reminded me of my lakefront walk last weekend, or, at least, the part of the walk where I saw several women who were nearly all bones, with some skin covering the bones. Leave aside the patriarchal beauty standards stuff (yeah, I know, you can't really do that), and leave aside my own judgments (yes, I know! I know!), it's just strange to see someone at one or another extreme, because you know they had to work at it to get there. I'm not talking about an extra 40 or 50 pounds, I'm talking about an extra 150 pounds--carrying a whole other person around on you. Similarly, I'm not talking about slender people, I'm talking about people who are suffering bone damage because they're so thin.

One of the strange aspects of my schedule, in combination with my already existing early-morning tendencies, is that I rarely sleep past 5:30 am, even when I don't set an alarm. (I've also noticed that I've been sleeping considerably less than I used to do--five or six hours a night, rather than the six or seven I used to get. When I do get my ass in gear and get more exercise, I'll be interested to see whether it affects that.) That means that on days like tomorrow, when I have to be downtown at 9:00 am, meaning I should leave here by, oh, 7:30 or so, I know that I don't really need to set the alarm. The chances of my sleeping until 7:00 am are pretty slim, even if I do crack open a bottle of wine tonight. (I have to tell you, I say I'm going to do that much more frequently than I actually do it.) Even last night: I stayed up until nearly midnight, puttering around, not doing much, and I woke up at around 5:30 this morning.

I've also stopped washing my hair Saturday morning (yeah, like you care about these personal grooming details . . .), on the off chance I do something social Saturday night, i.e., I'd take a shower first, and I try to avoid washing my hair twice a day, especially in the winter. These days, though, I often end up not going out on Saturday, and, if I spend Sunday working and don't go out, like today, then I end up not showering at all on Sunday, which means I am seriously grubby by Sunday night. That shower tomorrow morning is going to feel REAL good, and I should probably hack off some aloe to rub into my scalp tonight.

I've got the Food Network on in the background, and it's reminding me why I loathe it. Too many commercials, for one thing. Too much--WAY too much--faux competition, for another. Entirely too much babble; the babble:actual information ratio is extremely high.

Speaking of a high babble ratio, that is precisely to what I am subjecting you guys, so I'm going to bed. Say goodnight, Dick.

5 Comments:

Blogger kStyle said...

If you have a VCR or DVD player, you might be able to find some enjoyable aerobic exercise tapes to purchase--or even to borrow from the library. Just this morning I did the 40-minute "Crunch: Cardio Salsa" (about $10 from Amazon). I had a great time doing to combinations, and I was pleasantly surprised to find my heart rate elevated and my forehead sweaty. It didn't feel like effort, just fun.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Dave (not Craw) said...

Emma has both a DVD and VCR, and she has at least one exercise tape that I recall giving to her. Great Idea! I should do the same instead of running in the cold.... brrrr.

10:29 AM  
Blogger kStyle said...

Running in the cold--you are a brave man, Dave!

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Dave (not Craw) said...

No, just more afraid of getting fat than I am of getting cold

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home